Thursday, September 27, 2018

Shamus - Raw Track Records




  In the mid 90s, the Bronx-based emcee named Shamus dropped some good records released independently. At that time his name was the guarantee of great indie Hip-Hop releases. All his vinyl projects were really appreciated by the indie hip-hop community. To know why he stopped and disappeared, nothing better to ask him directly ! 


Shamus : "I was born in the South Bronx, 173rd and Bryant Ave. My brother and sister were Dj's, so I grew up in a family of music. My sister lived in Bronx River where the first hip hop record was recorded with DJ Kool Herc. So, I seen it all start and fell in love with it since I was a kid. I grew up on KRS One, Big Daddy Kane, Slick Rick, Rakim and N.W.A , so they influnced me. I started recording songs when I was about 14, my first record I released was 'Big Willie Style', which I recorded at Chung King Studios in NYC that was produced by Ski Beats. That record got a lot of play worldwide and that's was the start of my career."

12" - 1995 - Raw Track Records 


The 12" was dropped in 1995 and contains two songs 'Big Willie Style' and 'Try 2C Loot', both in their Dirty and Radio versionsIt was released on Raw Track Records, a record label founded and directed by Shamus himself. 

Shamus :"I was the owner of Raw Track Records. All the music I ever released I financed and released independently. I turned down every deal they ever offered me. I didn't want no major label to control my career. I'm against what they do to the artist and it wasn't for me."

'Big Willie Style' is the lead single of the wax, the instrumental contains a sample of 'Soon I'll Be Loving You Again' performed by Marvin Gaye and released in 1976. You can read on the vinyl label 'Original version from the forthcoming Raw Track release Illegal Conversation' but it was never released. Although there is no info about it on discogs, the single was also released on Tape.









One year later, Shamus was back with an other single "Neva Dream" produced by Michelob (4 Miles Ahead Productions) featuring Flu, member of the group Rugged Brood. 
Shamus : "When I was 14, I got in trouble and got kicked out of school, my sister by then had moved to Spring Valley, NY. She had to take me, because my mother was sick and I was out of Control. Flu lived next door that's how I met him."

12 - 1996 - Raw Track Records




In 1997, Shamus featured on Emar's single "Death", an other artist signed on Raw Track Records, and released his single "Tight Team" featuring his friend Flu and produced by Buckwild for Still Diggin Productions.The single was well received and peaked at #31 on the Billboard's Hot Rap Single Chart on May 24th 1997 and at #22 on CMJ 's Hip-Hop Top 25.  

CMJ New Music Monthly - June 1997 


12" - 1997 - Raw Track Records 


From The Source - May 1997 


EP - 1997 - Raw Track Records 

The same year, the 'Serving Life EP' came out, shipping over 20,000 units independently. His different singles are on the EP but it also features other songs like 'I got your Back' featuring C-Terror and produced by Buckwild, 'Challenge Us' feat Flu, Paradox, and Mad Max a.k.a The Rugged Brood who also performed the last track of the project, 'Dwellin Darkness' produced by Rockwrecka. 




The Rugged Brood : Flu, Max and Paradox - Photo coustesy of Max Tapper 


Shamus : "Max & Dox were in the group Rugged Brood with Flu that was how that connection was made. C-terra was an artist signed to Buckwild and since we were working together that was family. I knew a lot of the producers from being in industry, I worked with Ski first, then Buckwild was from the Bronx, Michelob was from the Bronx also he worked with Rich from Trackmasters. I knew Shok from Ruff Riders from being in Yonkers and Armageddon was from the Bronx also. It was a small circle so we all worked together. Rockwreka I met threw Flu, he produced most of the tracks for Rugged Brood...
There is no Shamus album because we formed the group Crime Wave and added Karachi & Scar to the group."



Crime Wave dropped their first single on Raw Track Records in 1997, "War Fair" featuring Shamus, Flu, Mad Max, Divine, Omega and C-Terra, produced by Madsol-Desar (Knightz Of Musik Productions). Only one track available in its Dirty, Clean, Instrumental and Acapella versions. 

12" - 1997 - Raw Track Records 





Shamus : "We released the album "Scripture won The Beginning of..." in 2002, which had production from The Beatnuts, Alchemist, Armageddon, the smith Brothers and a few other producers. We sold about 50-60,000 units independently. The project was a lot of stress, I invested over $300,000 into the project and didn't recoupe my investment. I felt like the members of the group just wasn't working hard enough. In 2002 "Think Big" was #5 on Billboard, when I decided to walk away from the group and the music industry. The time wasn't right and God had a different plan for me. 2019 I will be lauching Major Change Music, which I have a few new artist I'm working with and I have new music i'll be releasing. I have a lot of big name producers that I'll be working with and will release information early next year. "


Mad Props to Shamus Goss  



1 comment:

  1. They could have been as large as any team in the 90's 2000's. I really enjoyed this brother's perspective because it was genuine and authentic. Only certain individuals who recognize authenticity know what I mean regarding this brother. I wish you nothing but success. The platform needs authenticity NOW in 2019 more than ever. Thanks for the interview Shamus and all the best.

    ReplyDelete