Sunday, July 3, 2022

BBC 1Xtra 20th Anniversary: Chris Read Mix - 12th Jan 2003 [Late 90s / Early 00s Indie Hip Hop]

 



"From the station's launch in summer 2002 to summer 2004 I was one of two Hip Hop mix show DJs on the BBC's station for 'new black music', 1Xtra. This month marks the station's 20th Anniversary, so I've embraced the embarrassment of my 1Xtra press photo and picked a selection of mixes I did on the station during that period to upload here on Mixcloud for the first time. They're definitely from a different era - recorded live, vinyl only, two channel mixer, no effects and with that comes a certain amount of imperfection I wouldn't stand by today, but they represent the time well and in some cases the music I was playing in clubs at the time. Full disclosure - I have given most of these mixes a light edit, cutting out a few sections I didn't like, but for the most part they're as they come. More of these mixes every week for a limited period!" - courtesy of Chris Read





Chris Read – Theme #1
MCM – I Got Soul
Extra Prolific – First Sermon
Extra Prolific – In Front of the Kids
Blak Twang – U Know (Instrumental)
Beats Rhymes & Life – U Know (Nas Megamix)
The Herbaliser feat Rakaa / Iriscience – Verbal Anime
Beats Rhymes & Life – Alchemist 2001 Remix (feat Mobb Deep, Royce 5’9″, Apathy, J Zone & Huggy Bear)
Supernatural – Cosmic Slop (Instrumental)
Gang Starr – The Militia (Pete Rock Remix)
Ed O.G – To Much to Live Fo’
Kurious – All Great
Paul Nice – Bonus Beat #2
Brand Nubian – Hold On
Hieroglyphics – Soweto (Instrumental)
Mr Lif – Pull Out Your Cut
Gang Starr – Skillz
The Nudge – Window Pain
The Clipse – When The Last Time (Acapella) 


No comments:

Post a Comment