Sunday, January 27, 2019

Swift - The Ruff Shitt - 1994



12" - 1994 - JABA Records 


Let's talk about this indie rap artist named Swift who dropped his first single "The Ruff Shitt" on JABA Records in 1994. Many people think that Swift was from New Jersey but in fact he was originally from Arkansas and moved to Oakland / Richmond, California in 1993. 

Swift : "I graduated and went to Cali bay area in 93 to get away from the gang lifestyle I grew up in, where I made lots of noise in the music scene whilst being a aviation machinist, until getting kicked out for a gun incident.I got the attention of various people and built a big fanbase."

The 12" was composed of six versions of the song 'The Ruff Shitt' and was fully produced by the well-known beatmaker Mashoo Damole aka Noiseman M.D ... the producer of the excellent album "Back to Basics" released by B-Flatt & Tyranny in 1996 and recently reissued on vinyl on Back 2 Da Source Records. 'The Ruff Shitt' was also released on Cassette and CD format. 











Swift : "I met. M.D thru a guy who was my manager at the time, he was extremely talented as a producer so him and I clicked from the start. JABA was a independent label in the bay area, I signed because I got bigger return on sales as opposed to major upfront money. J.A.B.A which stands for (Jamming Another Bay Area Artist) at the time distributed by I.L.C. which was headed by multi platinum grammy award winner Jay King of Club Neauvo. The Ruff Shitt was a whole album but the single was the main focus they were trying to land a bigger distribution deal from a major."


I knew Swift was a solo artist but I wondered who was the other person with him on the CD cover and CD insert ? 



Swift : "That was my cousin Gift a.k.a Raymond Brown (RIP) my dancer, hypeman and background guy. I was trying to escape my gang roots by doin music so I mostly rolled with minimum people at that time. Too many people in your crew in the beginning can take away from your art. Gift was from Arkansas too and came with me to Cali to have a chance at a better life. We were great dancers and artist just all around Hip-Hop B-Boys"

According to Swift,  5,000-10,000 copies were pressed (a % was for promo use). It's really rare to see a copy for sale online and when you're lucky to see the original 12" for sale on ebay ... it is sold a few hundreds of dollars... 

Swift : "Wow really ? No didnt know... I just knew long ago it kick started my career that has been long and exciting and although I still haven't achieved my deserved stardom everyone hears my music is infected and eventually I will have my art appreciated around the world. I'm currently doin a comeback project guaranteed to resinate with all true hip-hop heads, no pencil pants and mumble mouth genocidal madness. I box in Kimbo Slice type FIGHT clubs, I still write and records 5 to 6 songs a week. Music is embedded in my soul and I won't stop until I can be heard. Lend me your ears and I'll give you food for thought,  I have a very deep and intriguing story that the world should hear and an eloquent way of expressing it thru linguistics. So i think maybe god is finally shinning the light in my dark corner of the universe. I been with various labels since then mostly independently owned, the art if hip-hop is alive and thriving for artist of all ages. If you have talent and fire then the world wants to hear ya. I'm just glad they still listening.  God bless"

If you like rough rugged and raw shit ... this 12" is for you !
 And can't say more about it but Swift's unreleased tracks are coming soon via a famous indie hip-hop label ... stay tuned Fellas !!! 


Mad Props to Swift, thanks for your time and your help. 


No comments:

Post a Comment