Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Stress - Gas Ya Head Up - 1999

 

12" - 1999 - Stress  


I've seen this wax floating around a few times on social media, and one of the tracks entitled "Gas Ya Head Up" appeared in a few mixes recently.  This song is the first track of the B-side of this 12" released in 1999 by the New Jersey-based emcee/producer Stress. 




The track is produced by Stress, and engineered, mixed & recorded at the Safe House by Madman G a.k.a Gee The Madman, who is a member of the group Massive Staff and who also produced the legendary joint "Crab" released by Fierce in 1996. Safe House was a home studio owned by Kyle Knordle a.k.a Knowledge (of Massive Staff) which was based in East Orange, NJ. It was a creative center for numerous underground new jersey artists at that time. If you're looking for more info about Stress, I asked him a few questions in a short interview ... 


Stress, where are you from exactly ?


Stress :I grew up in East Orange, New Jersey. These days I live in Newark, New Jersey, but I'm from East Orange."

 

Could you tell me how everything first started for you as emcee and producer ?


Stress : " When I was younger, I played the upright bass and also the trumpet. I was in the school band, the orchestra and the jazz band.  I was in all city bands throughout the school district. I also was in the church choir. So I had a pretty solid music foundation. My uncle had his own band and used to do shows and back up artists like Stephanie Mills. He played keyboard and used to take me to his rehearsals. At the same time my other uncle was getting into rapping and breakdancing Not to mention, my mother wrote poetry....This is where it starts for me... When I first heard my uncle rap, I knew that's how I wanted to express myself.  The production just went with it. I never saw myself not doing both. I started off making pause tapes to make instrumentals. Then my mom bought me a gemini sampler and a karaoke machine and I just went from there. I was making tapes in my attic and giving them out at school.



What were your hip-hop influences at the time ?


Stress : " I was influenced by everything. But as far as hip hop, The Beatminerz, Dj Premier, Rza, Pete Rock, Prince, Larry Smith, Quincy Jones and so on.. There's so many to name. "




"Gas Ya Head Up" is co-produced by Madman G . How did the connection happen with him ?

Stress : " As far as "Gas Ya Head Up", that song is the first song I ever recorded in a studio! I had a skeleton of the track done on a tape, and I wanted to do a song to it.

I wanted better quality than my karaoke tapes so I started looking for a place to record. I went to school with Madman Gee's younger brother. He told me his brother had a place, so I just went there. He charged me 25/hr and we laid the song. He added the sample that's running over the main part of the beat and did all the drops. We did the song in 45 mins. I thought to myself, I'm gonna keep coming back here. "



Were you affiliated with a crew at that time ? 


Stress : " I was affiliated with a crew from High School called B.U.K. -  BUNCH UV KILLAZ... Broke Unfortunate Kids ... We had a lot of acronyms !

The hook itself from "Gas Ya Head" is a nod to my man Great Dane (RIP) from our crew. He said that line in a song. I used it for a hook."



Do you remember how many copies of the 12" were pressed in 1999 ? 


Stress : " I believe I pressed 300 promo copies of that record. Funny thing is, the single we were promoting was the song "Impact". "Gas Ya Head Up" was a B-side. We pressed it in 1999 but "Gas Ya head" was recorded in 1996 as part of my original demo tape. 


What amazes me is that all these years later, people from overseas and other place are seeking out that song !"



Mad Props to Stress, thanks for your time. 



1 comment:

  1. Digital StimulationJune 3, 2022 at 9:02 AM

    A lot of good info there, thanks. Gas Ya Head Up is dope, haven't heard the other tracks on the record. I don't know much about Great Dane, I saw that he was on the Fierce record that Chopped Herring is releasing which I'm really looking forward to because Fierce was a monster and it's a shame we never got more material from him during that era. I also didn't realize he had passed, RIP. I recognized the name because Fugees brought him up to Stretch & Bobbito when they were promoting their first album in late 1993 and got to kick some rhymes. Obviously they had heads who got their props (Naughty, Redman, Latifah, Fugees, Artifacts etc, the list goes on) but Jersey had so much talent in that time period that never saw much daylight at all, it's crazy.

    ReplyDelete