Sunday, January 7, 2018

*Updated ! Characta Assassinz - Characta's & Ego's / It's On You - 1997




My man Ill Mind has recently digged this tape of an unknown group from North Carolina called Characta Assassinz. Not a lot of info about this group or tape released on Eastwood Records in 1997. Dobie from Mental Dimension recorded both tracks "Characta's & Ego's / It's On You" at his studio. The group is maybe composed of 6 or 7 members and this is probably their only release. Enjoy the tracks...this shit is dope ! 








Massive props to Ill Mind and Dobie for unearthing the tape !


*Update : Here is what we've found in the archives with the help of Digital Stimulation, thank you bro !  I didn't remember it was in the Unsigned Hype Section of the Source Magazine from July 1996.
At least we know that there is a demo tape somewhere recorded in 1996 with other tracks.  



From The Source - July 1996


8 comments:

  1. Digital StimulationJanuary 7, 2018 at 9:34 AM

    Woooooooooooooooo boy, this is a find right there. They were in the Unsigned Hype column in the July 1996 issue of The Source. This is some hardcore 90's shit, and worth 20+ years to wait for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow dope !!!!! ... don't have this issue... is it possible to send it to me Digital Simulation ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh yes I've found It !!!! thanks for the info bro

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an original member from the crew and a co-founder of the group. Glad to see some cats didn’t forget it’s been 20 years. Blessings fam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have been part of this group..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is JROC from that group. The memories man! Best times of my life becoming a man. Was in this group opening shows for Busta Rhymes, Keith Murray and Camp Lo. I was 16 when I met them, 17 when we built our own studio and recorded our music, and 18 in my senior year of high school when we were on the radio in rotation! Poor kid of a single mither got a real confidence boost and a "can do" attitude from this experience. Hip Hop was still a talent based industry at the time and we were learning more and more about marketing and promotions and how to break a record and we actually did it from the billboard we read.interestingly enough CDs were still relatively new so we had to creatively double our efforts as we learned. we didn't just have studio sessions, we had writing bootcamps and all night freestyle training. We ate healthy via Dr Laila O Africa and Dick Gregory, we read everything from Malachi York to William Cooper, the Bible, the Koran ,the Torah, the Tablets, the Kybalion, and the Urantia book. These where my brothers and sister(peace Nicole!/ Peace to Russ's wife) I was " the man " in 7 school districts in my hometown and no one knew who I was until 6 months before graduation. What a great way to walk into young adulthood! Thank GOD for my brothers who helped keep me on the good path with thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 4048892543... I need a copy of this my brother, just hmu and thanks for remembering us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok so Props to this Blog for postin this! I'm also one of the original Members of the Group and Produced both Cuts and rapped on one of them. These 2 tracks weren't recorded at Dobie's Lab though. We did record quite a few Demos at his spot but not these two. We did these in ATL at Knockhard Studios. "It's on you" was created on the Day we recorded it from Scratch because I forgot the Floppy Discs from another Track back in NC. Still came out Dope though. So many memories :)

    ReplyDelete