Monday, October 29, 2018

Big O - Shmoov Wit Da Ruffness - 1996



12" - 1996 - Blackwiz Records


This is the first and only 12" released by the NYC artist named Big O. It was released in 1996 on Blackwiz Records, a House Music Label launched by Sandy Rivera in 1993. 
The only song of the wax is "Shmoov Wit Da Ruffness", available in different versions (Shmoov Mix / Dub / Acappela / Gamemaster Mix / K.O.T. Mix / K.O.T. Dub / Ruff Mix / Ruff Dub), everything produced by a collective of Beatmakers called Kings Of Tomorrow whose Sandy Rivera was part of. 







 


I've asked some questions to Sandy Rivera to get more info about Big O but no answer until this day... the only person available to give me some details was Doug Roberts who mixed the project. 


Douglas Roberts :  "I was working at a dubbing studio in NY and met and worked with a lot of the house and garage producers that were putting out their own releases on independent labels. Sandy Rivera came around a few times and we got talking, he invited me to go over to his home studio one day to listen to some tracks he was working on and maybe do some writing, producing and engineering. One of the projects was the Big O tracks, he asked me if I'd be interested in mixing them and I said sure! I'd never mixed rap before but I had worked with Gang Starr and Mob Deep in the past and I figured I could handle it. 
We spent a few hours mixing the various versions that are on the 12", Sandy gave me free rein on the sound mix, and we put the versions together, mixing side by side, we had no automation and all the drops and cuts were done real time, no second chances. It was a lot of fun, Sandy had a real basic set up and if I remember correctly we mixed on these big old disco speakers, no expensive studio monitors! Real ruffneck style! The 12" came out and I got my copy, I've always been proud of that work, I think it has a good feel, genuine roots.
All I know is that Big O was a mate of Sandy's from the neighborhood, this was the first track he'd done and I think the only one, I never heard anything from him again..."  


Mad Props to Douglas Roberts, thanks for your help !


1 comment:

  1. My pleasure to help, hope you can solve the Bi O puzzle one day 🤘

    ReplyDelete