Monday, September 2, 2024

StillCatchinWreck - Ground Zero - 2000

 



Here is another dope 12" for your records collection ! It was released in 2000 by the group StillCatchinWreck, a duo comprised of MCs / Producers Kove One & EGOed from Colorado Springs, CO. The A-side of the wax contains the tracks "Ground Zero", "Testimony" and Stillcatchinwreck", with all the instrumentals versions on the B-side. 




Kove One : "Everything first started for me and Ego back in TX. We started making music together around 95-96. We were both from the same town in Texas and we used to skateboard with the same friends. We both kind of found out each other was into Hip Hop. Ego was into everything at one point, Djing, rhyming, making beats and at the time I was just into rhyming so we would connect and freestyle and just listen to music a lot. Then at one point we were like "man we should make a group and try to do this!" Lol, we were so hyped to start creating songs and come up with ideas. It was a fun experience to say the least.

I'm not sure but we both moved to Colorado in September of 1996 and quickly got to work making connections with other MC's, DJ's, Graff writers, I mean basically anybody that was into Hip Hop lol.


What were your hip-hop influences at that time as producers and emcees ? 


Kove One : "So many to name honestly but off the top of my head I would have to say The Beatminers, People Under The Stairs and Godfather Don. I loved his production and delivery. His lyrics were so sharp as well. I just pictured him as like the whole package. I can't remember at the moment what Ego's specific influences were but I can tell you he sure loved him some Hieroglyphics lol..."


Could you tell me who managed Hoztyl Records and FourElementFundamentalist Recordings ?


Kove One : " This guy named Y.D. did Hoztyle Records. Me & Ego managed F.E.F. "


4 years between the first 12" and the release of the debut album in 2004. What happened to the group during this period ?


Kove One :Ego took a bit of a sabbatical around that time period so I took it upon myself to record and release my first album. I also did a mixtape with other artists in the area and just collabed on songs as well. Dj Cenik & I were doing shows whenever and however we could around that time too. Once Ego was cool to jump back in we started working on The Greatest That  Never Made It. "



The album came out on CD format only and is the last official record dropped by the group. About the 12" Ground Zero, I highly recommend you to buy it if you can, it's a must have !


No comments:

Post a Comment