Tuesday, October 6, 2026

HOW CAN I BE DOWN? '95

 


HOW CAN I BE DOWN? '95 is a various compilation album released on CD and cassette by the Florida-based label Black Power Entertainment. It came out for the 3rd "How Can I Be Down?" music convention, which took place in South Beach, Miami, in October 5-9 1995. This famous music convention was created around 1992 by Peter Thomas, with the help of Henry Butler and James "Henchmen" Rosemond.



The compilation showcases MCs and groups signed to the label : Infamous, Odyssey, Ruff-n-Rugged, the female emcee Attitude and Clayvoisié, an artist who was more or less affiliated with Luke of the 2 Live Crew.








The productions were handled by Drunk Drew (Science Room), Steve Gaskins and Charles Trahan (of Young & Restless) from Miami, FL, and Mike Fresh who was originally from Atlanta but was based in Miami at the time. I've contacted some of those producers to get some info about those unknown MCs, but no answer unfortunately.


Black Power Entertainment was founded by Vernon "Black" Howard from Broward County. He made the compilation for the How Can I Be Down Convention to promote his artists, but nothing really came of the label and it eventually discontinued. I wish I could ask him a few questions but "Black" is now serving a life sentence in Prison... 



No comments:

Post a Comment