Sunday, January 7, 2024

Revolutionary Suicide - Revelation / Rotation - 1995


12" - 1995 - Exile Records 



Here is another wax which is very hard to find, released in 1995 by a group named Revolutionary Suicide. It came out on Exile Records, a Rock/Funk & Blues Label based in NYC (31 East 31st Street, 11th Floor) and founded by Mark Unthank.

The 12" is composed of 2 tracks entitled "Revelation" & "Rotation", both produced by K.Rodgers for Dready Monster Productions.





You can try to find some info about this group on the internet but honestly you'll find nothing about it.. The year 2024 is beginning so I think, almost 30 years later, it's definitely the time to give some shine to this group !

Revolutionary Suicide was a group comprised of Kareem Rodgers a.k.a A.D.A.D Supreme, his brother Charles Rodgers a.k.a Capital Punishment and Robert Watts a.k.a IZ the poet. 


From Left to Right : A.D.A.D Supreme - Capital P & IZ the Poet - circa 1995


A.D.A.D Supreme is born and raised in Fort Greene Brooklyn, New York. He is now known under the name of Amazin GraceHis first love is music due to his Mother Brenda Lavender Jackson Rodgers in her early years known, as "Momma Brenda" was a back up singer for Aretha Franklin. In a recent interview, here is what he told me : 


Amazin Grace :Well I was a solo artist originally, then I met the brother name Izreal around 1990, Izreal is a poet, I was very active in the studio so I shared my knowledge with IZ and we formed the group Revolutionary Suicide, the name we got from Huey P Newton autobiography."




Amazin Grace : " IZ and myself used to work at the airport (JFK International Airport) that’s where we first met, he was fond of some recordings I had played for him when I was solo, then he told me he did poetry, so I asked him to join me and let’s form a hiphop poetry group (the first in hip-hop) at that time.


A.D.A.D is an acronym for Almighty Dread After Dead. After Dead meaning resurrecting from a mental death of ignorance. I’m originally from Brooklyn, New York (Fort Greene Projects)...then my family relocated to South Jamaica Queens. IZ Watt the poet is originally from United Kingdom, then his family relocated to Hollis Queens, NY. So we both met in Queens.


We did work with Exile Records from when the label was first started, we knew Mark Unthank because he was a manager for my cuzzin who’s an eclectic soul artist name REESE who was engaged to the House singer Christal Waters.


After that, the group went through a transformation... we changed our name to MBRC (Mama Brenda’s Righteous Cartel), we have a lot of unreleased material. Capital P left the group to embark on other business adventures and myself and IZ kept going until the present. We are actually still recording, we call ourselves the Righteous Cartel now. "


Christal Waters had took over management for me and that also brought about a lot of changes. She was grooming me I would say for the next level of professionalism. I guess the commercial market.

She was a huge star in those years, she strengthened my production skills, I had to stay with her for weekends at a time, she created a studio in her house for me to learn how to use the MPC 60. That was the famous beat machine at the time."


Only a few hundred copies were pressed in 1995. Hip-Hop records collectors are definitely looking for a copy of this rare 12" nowadays... so if you're enough lucky to find one for sale, you should grab it immediately !


Massive Props to Kareem Born Revelation Rodgers, thanks for your time.




1 comment:

  1. thanks for dropping more knowledge. I checked and it appears there is a 2013 reissue from France. Are you aware of this one? Kind regards

    ReplyDelete