Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Demo Tape : Mr Dilligaf - The Next Man - 1994




In 2011, Christopher of the Diggers With Gratitude Forum uploaded this demo tape titled "The Next Man" recorded by an unknown artist named Mr Dilligaf.
If you're looking for some more info about him, you need to know that Kawan the Great code name Mr D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F (Do It Look Like I Give A Fuck) was born and raised in the Alabama Projects (Alexander Hamilton Public Housing Project) in the city of Paterson, NJ. 

Photo courtesy of Kawan the Great


"DILLIGAF, an original concept was brought aboat by Kawan to bring new flavor to the Rap scene as well as maintaining reality. His desire is to be a positive role model for the young people of Alabama Projects and to put his city on the Rap Map." - Dilligaf Press Sheet 











His demo tape was recorded in 1994 and is composed of 16 tracks, mostly produced by Eric Menal aka DJ Menal, half member of Brothers Uv Da Blakmarket, except the tracks "The Next Man", "Rippin Shit", "Street Fighter", "Who Put you On" produced by Mr Dilligaf himself. Eric was also known for his productions for the indie hip-hop emcee Shaleek & The 2nd Family .






I didn't get any answers from Mr Dilligaf but I 've been in contact with Eric Menal and he gave me more details about him and Mr Dilligaf. 

Eric Menal : "I grew up at the beginning of the hip hop revolution…I grew up in Paterson, NJ.  Because of its proximity to NYC, Paterson was a stop for many of the crews. We had Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Cold Crush, Sugar Hill Gang, Newcleus, and so do shows in Paterson. We used to go see these shows or be outside the venue if we couldn’t afford it. Grasping a glimpse as they came in or left out. I grew up going to the Roxy, The Fever, Latin Quarters, Roseland and Union Square.  My friend Reggie Hardy and I used to sneak in by standing on the guest line, looking over the shoulder of the guy holding the list, grabbing a name and using it to get in.  We never got caught.  I started producing about 1987. Myself and a classmate Chris Mckinney, made up the P-Town Posse trying to do demos and trying to do get signed.

I met Mr Dilligaf in Paterson, where I had established a name as one of the go to producers. Back before the days of fruity loops, not too many people had recording equipment. Drum machines and samplers were expensive and rare for people to have them and be good at using them. He was from the other side of town Alabama Ave Projects. He was a rival of Shaleek and the Second Family who I produced on some songs and was from my side of town and the Christopher Colombus Projects."







Eric Menal :" "Time to Kill Again", at the time was a track on the unreleased Brothers Uv Da Blakmarket follow up album "The Blakmarket Radio Show", which was never released... It was much stronger and grimier than "Ruff Life".
I asked Mr. D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. to be a guest on the posse track. The track features Kaleem (Philly), Mr. Dilligaf (Paterson), Just (Paterson), Joe Rock (Paterson), Harry-O aka Harry Cool Chief (Brooklyn), Mumz from The show OZ fame (Bronx) and Cool Money Cee from the Blakmarket (Paterson). Kaleem, Harry-O, and Mumz were artists I discovered and was working with them to secure deals."


Photo courtesy of Kawan The Great


I don't know what happened after that but nothing was released officially after that Demo tape, it seems that Mr Dilligaf was not able to secure a deal and wasn't signed… 

Eric Menal : "He was not my artist, so I really don't know what they did. But I thought he was dope and I wish he was my artist."



Mad Props to Eric Menal 


3 comments:

  1. as far as I remember, a guy named nobs originally uploaded this demo at the troy forum...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was mr dilligaf & the dilligaf staff in 92 - 94

    ReplyDelete