Sunday, May 12, 2019

Problem Child - Gettin' Into Mischief - 1994





Everybody knows the Brooklyn-based emcee Skanks The Rap Martyr ... no need to introduce him or talk about all the good work he has done since 2013 with the help of Shinigamie Records and Bankai Fam. 
Except maybe if you missed this part ... Skanks isn't a new comer ... he has been into the New York Hip-Hop Scene since the early 90's... at that time he was very young and was known under the name of Problem Child. 

Skanks : "Rampage Da Last Boyscout from Flipmode gave me my name after my first show when I was 11 years old. I even got a write up in Rolling Stone Magazine with Bart Simpson on the cover for that show... Him and Busta Rhymes showed me mad love."


His first official appearance was on the "Underground Airplay II" mixtape released by Echo Unlimited in 1994. His track "Gettin' Into Mischief" produced by Self is the first track of the B-side.


Tape - 1994 - Echo Unlimited 





Skanks : "I was rocking the Lyricist Lounge circuit during my Problem Child days... Ant and Danny (Anthony Marshall and Danny Castro) used to look out for me and put me in that platform, salute to them !
Self from the group etcetera was a mentor to me. My brother and him used to dj and make beats together in my basement. My Brother's name was Goldie da Brooklyn Mayor, he produced "Klap Ya Hands" for Das EFX and other bangers through the years... "


Photo courtesy of Skanks The Rap Martyr


Skanks : "About my crew ... I had Grizz Grand, he was my original hype man even tho he was a lil older... it worked out because he was short, we used to come on stage with Army fatigue and Jason masks with fake guns lol... those were the days my rhyme partner at the time was Elgee who unfortunately got stuck in another country during the time...
I had plenty of offers after that appearance on the Tape, I was having meetings almost every other day but I wasn’t in control being a minor and my mom gave my big bro permission to handle my business who decided to go the indie rout instead and we released our first single "Street Theory 101"  with Beat Street which eventually sold out all our vinyl. "


One year later in 1997, he released an other 12-Inches (Deal's Off / Drug Dealz) under the name of Problem Solver. It featured The Riot Squad and both tracks of the wax were produced by his brother Goldie.


I know that some Problem Child's unreleased materials recorded around '94 exist on DAT so I hope it will be unearthed one day with the help of Skanks, Goldie and Self... and no doubt it will be a good surprise if everything sounds like "Gettin' Into Mischief". 


Mad Props to Skanks, thanks for your time ... Peace !


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for connecting the dots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for this write up!! for my man Skanks. This took me down memory lane. One correction Skank is being modest. He was doing shows and in ciphers at 12 with some great MC's of the 90's. Unsigned and signed. Yes! to the question I have a vault of joints......
    "BeatmakersEdition'' Ouch aka "BigSelf"

    ReplyDelete