Thursday, April 4, 2019

Fong-Sai-U ‎- I Own This Microphone / The B*tch / UndaGround Anthem - 1999.





Fong-Sai-U is an emcee from Washington DC. His 12" released on B'Neath Da Unda Ground Records in 1999 was composed of 3 tracks : on the A-side, the main single of the record "I Own This Microphone" featuring Black Thought from The Roots who is one of his mentors (the other one was Guru from Gang Starr). On the B-side, the other tracks "The B*tch" and "UndaGround Anthem". All the tracks were produced by Safron Mason (RIP). An album named "Mental Passage" was supposed to be released after that but it never came out. 








After a quick chat, Fong-Sai-U answered some of my questions and gave me more info about this 12-inches :

Fong-Sai-U : "I was born in Southeast Washington DC. I 've been Fong-Sai-U since I got the name from my brother lord in '94. I met Safron who has since passed away at a rap battle, he came up to me looking for an MC for his production... Safron and his brother Steve owned B'Neath Da Unda Ground Records, they found me and gave me a deal right away... it’s like 300 copies out there of this 12". Black thought ... he is like my brother we met in '92 before the roots was big, I tried to battle him and from there he took me under his wing."



This is an other 12" which should be part of your record collection,
so if you find one copy online, cop it asap ! 





1 comment:

  1. Been a fan since 99...i missed out on this one.

    ReplyDelete